Jewelry @ Oakmont (previously known as Oakmont Lapidary and Silvercraft Club) was Sun City’s very first club, where members design and craft custom jewelry using stones and beads, sterling silver, German silver, copper, brass and other metals to create whatever is in their imagination.
Classes & Training Offered
Recently, an interest in glass fusion has expanded and now includes snack dishes, candle holders and assorted items, as well as jewelry. There have been 34 members who have taken the faceting classes since the club purchased a faceting machine. Faceting is making ordinary glass look and sparkle like a diamond. One of our members has designed a kaleidoscope and makes scrimshaw powder horns. It is a meeting place where members can come and enjoy each other’s company, share ideas, solve problems and just have a great time. Some of the member’s fabulous creations are on display and for sale in the club’s sales room.
All training courses offered by the club for the various crafts includes a start-up kit (equipment and/or raw materials needed for craft items); a minimum of three classroom instruction (instructor fees); and a certificate upon completion of the course. Classes are scheduled when a person expresses interest in a class and are dependent upon the availability of the instructor and student.
Category: Arts & Crafts
Location: Oakmont Center
Club Contact: John Schmidt, Club President – 623-322-4595 or 262-993-4873
Meetings, Club Room Hours & Classes:
- Club meetings (for official business) are the first Tuesday of each month at 9am
- Winter Hours (October 1 through April 15)
- Monday – Friday 8am-noon; Saturday 9am-noon
- Stained Glass: Monday, Wednesday, Friday – noon-4pm by appointment
- Summer Hours (April 16 through September 30): Wednesday, Thursday & Friday 8am to 11:30am
- Classes available include:
Silvercraft; Lapidary; Glass Fusion; Faceting; Scrimshaw; Wire Wrapping; Beading; Chain making; and Inlay
- For class information, stop by the club or contact:
- John Schmidt (623-322-4595) or
- Doris Beland (480-619-0817)
- Membership Fee (annual) – $10;
- Class (instructor) fee – $25 (3 classes) plus club membership fee
- Locker fee – $3 (depends on availability of lockers)