History of the Sun City Poms:
The Sun City Poms started in 1979 by acting as cheerleaders for the Sun City Saints women’s softball team and celebrated their 40th anniversary this past season. Today the group has evolved into two units: a marching unit and a performing unit. The Sun City Poms are highly energetic performers who demonstrate the organization’s dance standards. Some even do acrobatics!
Members of the Sun City Poms come from all walks of life, and are more than entertainers. They represent the fulfillment of life at any age. Performing with the spunk and energy of their youths, these ladies are having the time of their lives while sharing positive aspects of retirement and aging, and shattering conventional images of “senior citizens.”
- Dancers and marchers in the Poms must be 55+ years old and hold a current RCSC card, or qualify as a participating guest.
- Dance skills of rhythm, agility, poise, energy, and showmanship are required. Acrobatics and baton twirling are a plus.
If you are interested in learning more about the Poms or would like to schedule a Pom performance, check our contact information below. Poms season is from September through May.
Two Units of Poms:
The Performing Poms unit entertains at some 50 shows a year. They appear at conventions, sporting events, community meetings, fundraisers, and retirement living centers and care facilities. With excitement, agility, and grace, these women perform pyramids, pinwheels, while some even do splits, leg lifts, and headstands. Dances include modern jazz, country, and the internationally famous “Pom Routine.”
The Marching Poms unit participates in several parades a year, including the nationally televised Fiesta Bowl Parade in Phoenix. They perform a marching routine repeatedly throughout a parade route ranging from 1.5 miles to 3.0 miles. These gals strut their stuff with rhythm, energy, agility, and showmanship!
Check out these videos of Sun City Poms!
Watch the Sun City Poms on The Today Show – December 2018
Watch the Performing Poms on Positively Arizona which aired April 2018, on CW Phoenix (Channel 6, Direct TV 61).
Watch the Marching Poms “live” in this YouTube video from the 2017 Fiesta Bowl Parade!
The Pom marchers had a very successful season. Their main accomplishments were the Best Marching Unit in the Phoenix Veterans Parade and also First Place in the Wickenburg GoldRush parade; being invited to participate for the 30th year in the Fiesta Bowl parade in addition to performing in many other non-competitive marching events.
Marching Poms are under the direction of Choreographer Bree Hayden and Marching Coordinator Carolyn Sargent. Poms marchers have full practices from September through May. Information regarding the Marching Poms can be obtained by calling 602-392-4242.
Special classes are held for newcomers during the summer.
Poms are proud to announce all their sponsors!
- Dr. Robert Holyoak, DDS
- Moore Graphics
- Royal Oaks Retirement Community
- Sun City Independent
- Western State Bank
- Absolute Dentures
- AutoXtreme Service
- Big O Tires
- Chambers Construction
- Edward Jones/Tyler Gilberg, Financial Advisor
- Fine Insurance Group
- Fritts Solar with Brian Soules (email@example.com)
- Liberty Buick
- Paulie’s Little Bite of Italy
- Sarah Shew, Real Estate Consultant
- Setterberg Jewelers
- Sun City Mechanical
- Sun Dome Plaza Association, Sun City West
- Tempus West Valley Realty
- Wally’s Sun City Total Car Care
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS FOR MAKING PERFORMING AROUND THE VALLEY POSSIBLE!
Sun City Poms – 2019 Schedule
The Sun City Poms season is September through May.
- Mondays and Thursdays at Marinette Center from 8:30 to 11:00 for Performing Poms
- Mondays at Marinette Center from 7:20 to 8:15 for Marching Poms
Check back often for schedule changes and updates. Please call 602-392-4242 should you have any questions.
* 1-31 The Fountain at Lake Pleasant 3:00PM
* 2-12 Amethyst Harbor Peoria 3:00PM
* 2-15 Wickenburg Parade 10:00AM
* 2-18 Brookside, Peoria 1:30PM
* 2-22 WA State Club, Surprise 6:00PM
* 2-29 Lions Club, Phoenix 1:30PM
* 3-12 Sun Flower Resort, El Mirage 1:00PM
* 3-14 St Patrick’s Day Parade, Phoenix 10:00AM
For further info, call 602-392-4242
Janice Brown, President
Poms Phone: 602-392-4242
Poms Email firstname.lastname@example.org